Friday, March 27, 2009

An Outing of Shouting and Pouting

Upon the start of the school year here at ISU, I told myself that I was going to try and go to every single home football and basketball game that there is. However, my actual attendance at these sports events was far from frequent. Since being at school here, I think I have attended only two football games and one basketball game. While our basketball team was exceptional this year, making me feel very guilty about only going to one game, I can't really beat myself up over not going to very many football games as the team extraordinarily stank this season. Yet, despite their fualts, I chose to attend two home games with my friends in the spirit of being active in campus events and for the sake of going out to have a good time with friends. I remember the first football game I went to especially more than any other campus event that I attended because of how new and fascinating the experience was to me at the time. It was a friday night game and the opposing teach was Eastern Illinois. I was going to the game with 7 ohter friends, all of whom were seated in the "Zoo Section," which acts as the student section at all the home games. I however had bought a ticket late, after all openings in the "Zoo Section" were taken. So, in an attempt for all of us to sit together, me and my friends made a valiant effort to try and sneak me into the stands. Each one of them approached the ticket-checking Nazi while I attempted to slip past unnoticed. However, the ticket checker had eyes like a hawk and promptly told me to turn back and sit in my assigned section. So instead of sitting where we all hoped, me and my friends found a bench that we could all fit on in the guest section (which was all ISU students anyways) and proceeded to watch the kickoff. Now for me, my memories of the rest of the game is kind of a blur. It seemed as though we were all paying more attention to each other and to the drunk fans around us than to the actual game. This is one thing that I failed to mention earlier. I guess that the popular thing people like to do before an ISU home game is get decently drunk, go to the game, get subway afterwards, and then go to your respected house or apartment party. So as my friends and I stood there trying to pay attention to each play and each down, it became too hard not to get distracted by laughing at the rediculous comments or shouting from the drunks behind us. I remember that for most of the game, ISU was winning by at least two touchdowns. So around the end of the 3rd quarter, my friends and I decided that we would check out early and beat the rush to Subway. As we left, joking about how disastrous it would be if ISU started to lose after we left, our nightmares soon became a reality and ISU lost by three points. Pathetic. So in our grief, we all ordered subway and then went to our friends apartment and had an incredible time. The end.

1 comment:

  1. Likewise, I had planned to go to most of the football and basketball games. Unfortunately, I have gone to absolutely none. So kudos for your motivation! :)

    ReplyDelete