
So I saw this advertisement today that I just could not believe. It was the latest of the ridiculous advertisements from Axe body spray. The commercial was promoting the new scent from Axe called "Dark Temptation." If you haven't seen it yet, check out the web address at the bottom of this blog and give it a looksie before you read on. It starts by showing a young guy getting out of the shower and applying the spray to himself only to be transformed into a living chocolate man. The commercial goes on to show the guy's daily routine of taking long city street walks, riding the bus, visiting attractive girls in the hospital, and going to the movie theatre. All the while, he is being chased by packs of attractive women as they try to take bites out of him or lick his choco cheeks in the middle of the movie (how rude). It even shows a scene where he walks by a rec center and all the girls press themselves up to the glass as they hope to get a taste. He then waves to them only to have his arm ripped off by girls in a passing car.
While this is all supposed to be very comical and give the audience the idea that if you wear this spray then you'll get the chicks, it actually all comes off as kinda creepy and unrealistic. First of all, the idea of putting out a scent that smells like chocolate sounds rather disgusting and kinda weird. As a guy, you wanna wear a deodorant or cologne that a girl will find pleasant and will be impressed with. You don't want to make them hungry. Secondly, lets talk about the scene where the chocolate man walks past the gym. Looking at all those women go absolutely crazy over chocolate makes it hard for me to believe that they look as physically fit as they all do. But hey, I guess that's why they're all at the gym. Secondly, randomly having girls take bites out of you as you are trying to go about your day doesn't sound attractive at all. In fact, that sounds kind of annoying and I don't know of any guy who would enjoy that. However, the most disturbing scene in the whole advertisement was when the chocolate man waves and has his arm torn off from the girls in the car. That just sounds painful, not sexy. I understand where Axe was trying to go by implying that all girls like chocolate and will therefore find a man who smelled like chocolate desirable, but this commercial just made it seem as though wearing this body spray will cause you to be mutilated and eaten alive. How messed up is that? From watching this commercial, I think I would have to pass on purchasing the product as I happen to enjoy having all of my limbs and watching movies without having anyone bite my ears off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ-ZSaDt91g
This commercial was hilarious!
ReplyDeleteHaha this was an entertaining blog. I definitely agree that I think it would be weird if a guy by this commercial was influenced to buy axe
ReplyDelete